Cropped pants, capris, clamdiggers. They may be known by many names but these short pants have become known and loved by women of all ages, shapes and sizes. And with good reason. Cropped pants offer a cool alternative to full-length trousers or jeans and are perfect for when the weather starts heating up. Offering more coverage than shorts, cropped pants can be dressed up or down and worn for an afternoon of shopping, out to brunch or for an evening event.
As popular as they are, wearing cropped pants can be a bit trickier than you’d think. This is one article of clothing I get many questions on and find that, while some are ardent supporters of cropped pants, others won’t go near them with a ten-foot pole. You’ll find cropped pants available in every style and length imaginable, and finding the right pair for you doesn’t have to be a monumental feat. Here are a few tips to help you select the best style for your figure:
1. Make sure the hemline ends at the narrowest part of your leg. If it stops at the widest part of your calf, your legs will appear larger and shorter.
2. Pleats? Please, don’t. They only serve to add volume where you want to minimize it.
3. How about cuffs? Cuffs are best on those with long, nimble legs and should be avoided on those with short legs.
4. Opt for cropped pants that have straight or slightly flared legs, not “skinny” legs. They’ll balance out hips and keep you proportional.
5. To create an elongated leg line pair your cropped pants with heels or some of the season’s hottest wedges. Flat shoes can give this look a dowdy appearance.
What Shoes Do I Wear with Cropped Pants?
Avoid heavy or chunky shoes – Skip shoes that cover the entire top of your foot, or have a bulky look or chunky heel to avoid breaking up the legline. Instead, opt for pumps with an open vamp, strappy heels or open wedges that don’t cover most of the foot.
Keep the color of your shoes in the same palette as that of your pants to avoid breaking up the flow of color.
Stick with shoes that are fairly simple and are not the focal point of your outfit. This helps to create a balanced look that elongates your legs.
Wedges are wonderful for elongating the leg and creating height.
If you’re a flats kind of gal, try a kitten heel to give you a hint of lift and keep your look from going flat.
So now your only real dilemma with wearing cropped pants should be choosing a color!
Share this Post