The Right Dress for My Body Type
What if there were one item of clothing you could put on that could make you look sleek, chic and pulled together, in one fell swoop? There is – the dress!
What is it about the dress? Dresses can be sexy, alluring and appealing in oh, so many ways. Dresses are feminine and flirty. They can also be sleek and slimming, and elevate your style to new heights.
But finding the right dress? That’s almost like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Years ago, I designed wedding dresses and I know from experience that discovering the right dress can be truly magical – but it can be quite a journey.
When buying a dress, knowing your body type is key. Here are a few tips to help make it easy:
- If you’re an hourglass or pear shape, opt for a fit-and-flare style. This is fitted through the bodice, has a defined waistline, and has an A-line skirt that gently skims hips and thighs (like the dress, pictured).
- If you’re upper body dominant, opt for a fitted sheath dress and straight skirt, whether long or short. A sleeveless or halter-style will minimize upper body while focusing attention on your fab legs.
- If you’re an apple shape, choose a fitted bodice. A bit of a sleeve such as a cap will offer more coverage around the underarm area, where a bustline can often pull fabric and expose your bra. Look for a great fit through the middle without a defined waist. Ruching, strategic wrapping or other treatment can be great for camouflaging a tummy.
- If you’re a different size on top than you are on the bottom, buying a dress can be tricky. My best suggestion is to buy it to fit the largest part of your body, then have the rest altered.
- Wear appropriate lingerie for your dress. Skip the thong and opt for boy shorts, high-cut briefs or pantyhose to create a smooth, sleek line around tummy, hips, and bottom.
There’s just something about a woman in a dress…whatever your occasion, take the time to find the right dress for you and you’ll become memorable for all the right reasons!
Join us at StyleFinder Boutique for our Holiday Dress Event November 9 & 10th and find your perfect dress!